In light of recent events with elder boards making decisions on allegations of abuse by pastors, a rebroadcast on one of our more popular and requested guests, Dr. Chuck DeGroat, seemed timely. Dr. Chuck DeGroat is Professor of Counseling and Christian Spirituality and Interim D.Min. Director at Western Theological Seminary and faculty member for the Soul Care Institute.
He is an author, speaker, consultant, and therapist.
He is a Minister of Word and Sacrament in the Reformed Church in America. He pastored in Orlando and San Francisco before transitioning to training and forming pastors. His experience includes training clergy in issues of abuse and trauma, pastor and planter assessments, church consultations, and investigations of abuse among pastors and within congregations. He has been featured on The Rise and Fall of Mars Hill podcast by Mike Cosper at Christianity Today in regards to the abuse of staff by pastor Marc Driscoll.
Chuck has been married to Sara for 27 years, and has two adult daughters.
He is the author of:
- When Narcissism Comes to Church: Healing Your Community from Emotional and Spiritual Abuse
- Leaving Egypt: Finding God in Wilderness Places
- Wholeheartedness: Busyness, Exhaustion and Healing the Divided Self,
- Toughest People to Love: How to Understand, Lead, and Love the Difficult People in Your Life -- Including Yourself.
*Several books are mentioned in this podcast that help in learning to discern the patterns of pastors who bully, intimidate and coerce their staff when it is not easy to see from the outside and is not something everyone on staff experiences.
(If you are on a church elder board, or a church hiring committee, I highly recommend these books):
- A Church Called TOV: Forming a Goodness Culture That Resists Abuses of Power and Promotes Healing by Dr. Scot McKnight and Laura Barringer
- Something's Not Right: Decoding the Hidden Tactics of Abuse and Freeing Yourself From Its Power by Wade Mullen
- Redeeming Power: Understanding Authority and Abuse in the Church by Dr. Diane Langberg
The A World of Difference Podcast is brought to you in partnership with Missio Alliance.
Stay In Touch: Connect on Facebook and Instagram with thoughts, questions, and feedback. Rate, review and share this podcast with anyone that would love to listen. Find Us Online: @aworldof.difference on Instagram and A World of Difference on Facebook, on Twitter at @loriadbr & on Clubhouse @loriadbr.
Interested in one-on-one or group coaching on how to live a life that makes a difference? Check out: https://www.loriadamsbrown.com/coaching
Mentioned in this episode:
Coaching 3 9/22
Life can be challenging. Getting unstuck is possible. Go to loriadamsbrown.com/coaching for a free session to explore what coaching sessions can do to help make a world of difference.
Support us at Patreon.com/aworldofdifference for as little as $5 a month and get exclusive audio and free merch!
This podcast uses the following third-party services for analysis:
Chartable - https://chartable.com/privacy
Podtrac - https://analytics.podtrac.com/privacy-policy-gdrp